About Me

My photo
El Paso, Texas, United States
I photograph what inspires me. This could be just about anything as I am a person of many interests and look for the beauty in everything that I see and one of the first thoughts is how I can photograph a subect to portray it how I see it. This could be rendered as HDR, traditional portrait, or even using photoshop techniques.

February 27, 2011

The Equestrian


The Equestrian is the world's largest bronze equestrian statue to date standing almost 40-foot tall.  It was dedicated on 21 April 2007 and the name of the artist is John Sherrill Houser (and Ethan Taliesin Houser).  This statue was originally named after Juan de Oñate (AKA Juan de y Oñate Salazar) which was a Spanish conquistador and explorer.  The stature was renamed to "The Equestrian" by the City Council in order to deter growing criticism of the sculpture.  Juan de Oñate, even by his own accounts, had subjected the people of Acoma and other pueblos to horrendous atrocities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment